Title: The development of the web-based Attendance Register System(ARS) for higher academic institution: From feasibility study to the design phase
I have chosen a topic for the academic paper and trying to give the answers of the following questions asked by our mentor- Lars Dam.
- Did the abstract tell you the three things I said it should? If not, what did it tell you?
- What seems to be the research questions they were trying to answer?
- What methods did they use to answer the questions?
- How credible do you think the paper is? (hint: look at who authors are and where and when it is published also compare what they were asking with what they did)?
- Did you agree, or not, with what they wrote in their conclusion?Why?
- Briefly describe two things that you learnt from the paper?
- In no more than 250 of your own words(i.e. a paraphrase), describe what the paper is about-you could start with “This paper describes….”
- In this blog, author is talking about attendance register system. The analysis of the attendance is done in a University in Malaysia. The record of the attendance of students is done using the more advanced method by using the advanced web applications such as MySQL and Java.
- In this article,the new practice is to be implemented in the University of Malaysia to be the record secure and have all the data and to keep the academic records of the students.
- They have chosen manyy types of methods to explain and maintain the records clearly such as SDLC(Software Development Life Cycle), flow chart and table chart to illustrate the records and comparisons more clearly.
4. As I think, this article is credible in development new and advanced technology which is implemented in order to keep the academic records safe. It has three authors and published on October 2009. It contains 12 references at the end.
5. I totally agree with the conclusion based on the analysis and results as their is a ever increasing need to keep the records updated on the daily basis and to keep it secure. As paper work could not be always right asit may contain errors. The biggest advantage of updating the record on the Internet is that it is secure and each and every student and teacher has the authority to access it and see their attendance.
6. and 7.
I have learnt that the use of papers may cause risk of loosing the records. Moreover, we have seen that in many universities there is the system in which there is a criteria of the attendance that if a student have the attendance below the criteria, then he/she is not applicable to give the exam. So, teachers have to spend a lot of time to calculate the attendance of the students. So, in this online attendance system, one can get their attendance calculated in a short period of time and may not contain errors. Moreover, data is secure and the percentage of getting errors is less.
CITATION IS GIVEN BELOW:
Othman, M., Ismail, S. N., & Raus, M. I. M. (2009). The development of the web-based Attendance Register System (ARS) for higher academic institution: From feasibility study to the design phase. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, 9(10), 203-208.
Here are some references that were given from where I take this topic:
1. Marr, Liz & Lancaster, Guy, “Attendance System”, Learning and Teaching in Action, 4 (1), pp. 21-26, 2005.
2. Mazza, R. & Dimitrova, V., “Visualising student tracking data to support instructors in web-based distance education”, Proceedings of the 13th International World Wide Web Conference on Alternate Track Papers & Posters Press, pp.154-161, New York: USA, 2004.
3. O’Brien, James A., “Introduction to Information Systems: Essentials for the e-Business Enterprise”, Mc Graw Hill, New York, 2003.
4. Shelly, G.B., Cashman, T.J., & Rosenblatt, H.J. (2001), “System Analysis and Design”, 4th edition, Thompson Course Technology, New York, 2001.